Sunday, July 25, 2010

Character Work



As much as I love my leads, I actually relish writing my supporting characters. Especially in a crime drama.

I mean, come on, we've all seen the blustery police lieutenant/captain. Whenever I encounter a chance to write such an iconic character like this, I think, how can I make them 'pop?'

I mean, I need a stern supervisor to bust my Hero, Kent's, chops, but how can I write them so that you don't feel like you have 'seen' it all before?

In Plain Jane I wanted the guy (I could have chosen a woman for this role , but I liked Nicole - Kent's Love Interest - awash in a sea of men) to bring something extra to the table.

That is when I came up Captain Glick. I combined a more standard male captain, with all of his prerequisite impatience and anger issues, but infused Glick with a more traditional female insight.

Most of the time this cartoonish Captain character fights the current that the Hero generates. He even at times denies the current is even tugging him and everyone else downstream.

So I thought, I want a more proactive Captain. I want a Captain that knows there is not only a current but a dangerous undertow beneath it. He not only knows it but his job is to steer the ship so that everyone doesn't run aground.

And though Glick may balk at the speed and danger of the trip, he also realizes that without Kent and his riptide, they would never get to their destination.

Want to see if I accomplished what I set out to do with Glick?
Read 50 pages of Plain Jane for FREE: http://bit.ly/b60jVe
And here is a 50% off coupon in case you want to read the entire thing: RH88E

Awesome and if you have already read Plain Jane and have a review up, leave a comment, I would love to promote your site! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment